Nearly a decade ago, Battelle for Kids developed the BFK•Link® software to support teachers by ensuring their teacher-level value-added reports accurately represent the students they teach. Today, BFK•Link® is used in Ohio and other states as a tool in the roster verification process.
Participating in this process enables teachers the opportunity to verify class roster information for accuracy. Without this tool, a teacher's value-added report could be attributed to students they've never taught.
What is Roster Verification?
Roster verification is a process that informs reliable, accurate teacher-level value-added reporting. Teachers verify: "I taught these students during these months for this percent of instruction."
This timeframe is updated yearly.
The roster verification process occurs in three steps:
1. School Set-Up Period:
Principals (and support teams, as desired) gain access and verify the staff list and staff assignments.
2. Teacher Roster Verification Period:
Teachers gain access to verify their class rosters and set up instructional attribution for the students they taught by indicating how long they taught them, and the percentage of the instruction they provided to each student. Principals/support teams should be monitoring teacher completion during this time.
3. Principal Review and Approval Period:
Principals review staff attributions and alerts before giving final approval. (Principals will be able to review and approve rosters as completed, before the Teacher Roster Verification Period ends.)
Roles and Responsibilities
Principals are responsible for:
- Establishing a support team for their school
- Reviewing the teachers and classes initially loaded
- Facilitating completion of the roster verification process
- Reviewing for accuracy and approving the final roster verification data that will be used in the analysis
Teachers are responsible for:
- Ensuring all students are accurately included on each class roster, and modifying rosters by adding/deleting students where necessary
- Indicating class enrollment by setting student entry and exit dates
- Setting percentage of instruction provided
- Submitting class rosters for principal review and approval
Two organizations support Ohio's schools in the roster verification process: