At Chicago Public Schools (CPS), our collective mission is to ensure that every student in every community has access to a high quality education that prepares them for success in college and career. In our efforts to make this mission a reality, we are upgrading and improving the systems and processes we use in order to provide our teachers with the tools and support they need to deliver the highest quality instruction to our students to boost student achievement. Roster verification is a process for accurately and transparently capturing the instructional attribution between teachers and students. This will allow CPS to continuously improve data quality.
It's important that teachers have an opportunity to confirm which students they taught for a particular subject and for what percentage of instruction they were responsible.
The process includes:
- Establishing classroom and Performance Task rosters of students taught throughout the year;
- Indicating the month(s) when students are members of each classroom (i.e., mobility); and
- Reporting the amount of classroom instruction a teacher provides for each student student in a given subject.
Who is involved:
Everyone plays a role. Principals, Chiefs of Schools, school support teams, and educators across Chicago Public Schools will engage in district-wide student roster verification for the fifth time this school year.
Principals and support teams will play an important role in facilitating the verification process at their schools and approving the roster verification data their teachers submit. Each principal will assign a school support team of 1–2 individuals.
Educators in grades Pre-K–12, except those who are exclusively in charter schools, will be verifying rosters if they:
- Plan and provide instruction, then contribute to the assignment of a grade for student(s)
- Instructional responsibility can be assigned through classroom roster verification
- Are evaluated by REACH Students and can expect to be held accountable to a Performance Task (i.e., not explicitly on a 100% Practice framework)
- Accountability to student growth on a Performance Task can be assigned through Performance Task roster verification
Visit the Knowledge Center REACH page at kc.cps.edu for more information about the REACH Students educator evaluation system, including specific resources on timelines, frameworks, student growth measures (Performance Tasks and Value-Added), and Roster Verification.
The CPS Roster Verification team is available for principals and support teams at RosterVerification@cps.edu. Educators should reach out directly to their principals and support team with questions about Roster Verification.
Deepening Your Understanding